Frequently Asked Questions About Threading, Waxing, Facials and Henna
1. What is threading?
Threading removes hair swiftly yet meticulously from the most delicate areas of the face by knotting thread to grab and pull hair out by the root. Unlike waxing, threading can isolate and extract individual hairs.
2. What does threading feel like?
Threading feels similar to tweezing or waxing. You may feel a pinching or light scraping sensation. Most customers agree that it’s no more uncomfortable than other hair removal methods and leaves your face looking and feeling clean.
3. How long does threading take?
A simple eyebrow threading can take just 5-10 minutes. The upper lip takes about 5 minutes, and a full face thread takes about 20-30 minutes.
4. What areas of the body can be threaded?
All areas of the face—eyebrows, lip, chin, sideburns—can be threaded, as well as the fingers or hands and toes or feet.
5. What are the benefits of threading vs. waxing?
Threading can target individual hairs, even fine hair, for a precise, sharp look. Threading can be done as soon hair grows just above the skin, whereas waxing requires the hair be at least 1/4” long before it can be removed again. Unlike waxing, threading doesn’t peel off a layer of skin during the hair removal process. Learn more about our threading services.
6. How long does threading last?
Depending on your hair type and area of the face, full regrowth can be anywhere from two to eight weeks.
7. If I get my full face threaded, will the hair grow back thicker?
No. After repeated threading, the hair tends to weaken and grow back finer.
8. Why does the esthetician put part of the thread in her mouth?
The thread must be pulled taut in order to accurately and precisely remove each hair. However, the thread that touches the esthetician’s mouth never touches your face. Each piece of thread comes from a clean spool and estheticians use several fresh pieces during the session.
9. Is it okay to get threaded if you have sensitive skin?
Yes. However, depending on your sensitivity level, you may experience redness or minor bumps at the site, but it should subside in 10-15 minutes. In rare cases, the area may remain red for an hour or two. We recommend not using the lotion or aloe gel that your esthetician usually applies after treatment. Refrain from using face products for a few hours after threading until the area feels less sensitive.
10. Can I specify how I want my brows shaped?
Yes! Before you begin, let your esthetician know how you want your brows shaped and how thick or thin you’d like them. Before leaving the chair, take your time to check your brows to be sure you are happy with the results. You esthetician will be happy to make any adjustments you’d like.
11. My brows don’t have a natural arch, is it possible to get them shaped that way?
Absolutely, but be aware that to create an arched look, we need to remove more hair, which creates a thinner brow. If you want a thicker brow shaped to your natural contours, we don’t recommend the arched look.
12. I over tweezed. How long should I wait before my next threading appointment?
Although hair can be threaded as soon as it grows just above the surface of the skin, we recommend waiting for about two weeks if you want a new or different shape to your brows. In the meantime, do not tweeze your brows, even for a touch up.
13. Is it safe to get threaded after cosmetic surgery?
Check with your doctor about the specific healing time for your procedure and inquire how long you should wait to resume threading.
➲ Bikini Waxing
1. How long does my hair have to be before getting waxed?
At least 1/4” long or until it lays flat against your skin.
2. Should I trim my hair before my appointment?
No. If your hair needs to be trimmed, your esthetician will do it during the session.
3. Do I have to take off my underwear?
We provide disposable panties to wear during your session so you don’t risk getting wax on your underwear. If you are having your underarms waxed, you can request a cape to cover yourself so you can remove your bra.
4. Can I get a bikini wax while I have my period?
We don’t recommend any type of bikini waxing while you have your period for both sanitary and comfort reasons (the skin is more sensitive during menstruation).
5. Is it okay to have sex the same day I get a bikini wax?
The area may be sore, but if it’s comfortable for you then go for it! To reduce your chance of infection, for a day or two after waxing, consider washing the area after sex.
6. Is it safe to get a bikini wax if I’m pregnant?
Consult your doctor first.
7. I have a big event coming up, when should I schedule my bikini wax?
To keep your schedule as stress-free as possible, and to let sensitivity subside, we recommend coming in at least 48 hours before the event.
8. I shave my bikini area, but I want to try waxing. How long should I wait before getting my first wax?
Wait at least two weeks for your hair to grow back before getting waxed. Once your hair is at least 1/4” long, or it lays flat against your skin, you’re ready for your first wax!
9. Will I get fresh wax for my session? What kind is it?
At THREAD we never double dip. Fresh honey wax that is gentle on sensitive skin is poured into individual, disposable cups at the beginning of each session, and thrown out after every use.
10. How often should I get a bikini wax?
Depending on how long it takes for your hair to grow to at least 1/4” long (or until it lays flat against your skin), but the average is three to five weeks.
11. My esthetician used scissors when giving me a bikini wax. Is that sanitary?
Yes. All of our equipment–scissors, tweezers and brushes–are disinfected in Barbicide after every use.
12. How should I prepare for a bikini wax?
Don’t shave for at least two weeks; the hair needs to lay flat against your skin. Shower, but do not use lotion on the area and wear loose clothing — tight jeans can be uncomfortable after a wax. Arrive a few minutes early so you can relax before the session begins. Budget your time–a wax can take anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes depending on which service you choose.
13. I’m allergic to latex. What kind of rubber gloves do you use?
We only use non-latex gloves at THREAD.
14. What can I do to soothe any irritation after waxing?
Do not use products such as lotion (or worse, alcohol) on the area for at least 48 hours. After that you can use Tend Skin to prevent ingrown hairs, and rosewater or organic aloe to reduce irritation.
1. Should I get threaded before or after my facial?
Ideally, you should have these services on different days. If that isn’t possible, wait to be threaded until after the facial. Even though we use gentle products for our facials, we recommend a avoid all skin products for few hours afterward.
➲ Eyelash Extensions
1. How long do eyelash extensions last?
At THREAD we use Special Occasion Lashes that are designed to last for a few days to a week. It is not recommended to keep them on any longer than two weeks. Don’t use mascara or harsh cleansers because they will shorten the lifespan of your eyelash extensions.
2. How do I remove my eyelash extensions?
Pick up an adhesive remover at your local drugstore. They are usually located near the fake eyelashes.